Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Operation "Honk if you love 'House of Carters'"



I myself have a Metrocard instead of a drivers license (keeps me in touch with the common man) but I understand it must be hard to drive in this city. I appreciate the brilliant absurdity of 4.2 million cars trying to get to the same place at the same time.

That does not, I repeat NOT, give you the right to try to hit me for sport. I was inside the lines, I had the light, I'm a human being dammit. If you plow into me and knock me down, do I not bleed from the ears? If you cut a corner sharply, does my foot not flatten?

I'm generally a good pedestrian. I'll at least glance around before I dart between cars. If you have a siren on your vehicle, I won't stroll lackadaisically licking a lolly. But when you decide you have to cross the intersection to squeeze into the line of stopped traffic even though the light is red, well you sir deserve to get caught with your bumper sticking into the oncoming traffic. You got greedy and you got caught. People like you deserve society's scorn.

I know you're important. That's a given with your late-model Honda and flashy Rochester Big & Tall suit (no, seriously two for $350 is the steal of the century) but unless there's blood or a woman in labor in the car, you don't get to make the rules. I know you want to be like your heroes, but if Mad Max or someone from Grand Theft Auto jumped off a bridge, would you do it too? Cause I seriously wish you would. (Zing!)

Next time this happens, you're not getting off with just my withering glare and angry blog (which I'm sure is like a knife in your heart now). The next step involves me slapping an "Honk if you love 'House of Carters' " bumper sticker on your car. That's my right as an American. A pedestrian American.

No comments: