Saturday, February 11, 2006

Prelude to a bigot

I have dated guys who:

* Thought watermelons grew underground. (Also pumpkins. Even after we went to a pumpkin patch.)
* Filled his pockets at an all-you-can-eat buffet.
* Wore earmuffs on a date, and - wait for it - pretended to get a signal from space on them.
* Over my protests, tried to guess my weight, and guessed a full 35 pounds over my actual weight.
* Interrupted my story to (mis)correct my pronunciation of "red herring", saying the H was silent. When I looked it up, he said the dictionary was wrong.
* Literally could not go through a conversation without working his height into it. We almost made it through 15 minutes on the phone, but the last thing he said was, "Well, it should be crowded at Macy's today with all the tourists. Good thing I'm 6'2" and can see over them."

Awesome dudes all. (O.K. the last three were all from one guy.) But I can't help feeling like something is missing. What happens when you throw a little light racism into the mix, Kate?

Let's find out this week.

I agreed to out with a guy for dinner tonight (before blizzard '06 came to town) and it's going to be awesome. We've spoken once and this is a sample exchange: (keep in mind he sounds like a very demanding sports agent)

"You work as a nanny? Where do you work?"
"For a family..." before I could say "with two little girls in Chelsea" he jumps in with "Well I assume for a family. Of course you do. Where are you right now?"

He later told me that my neighborhood was ''full of dirty Mexicans'' and I tried to laugh it off saying "Oh no, it's all Dominicans and Puetro Ricans, don't mix it up" hahaha, he says "Same thing, they all smell. Do you smell like Mexican food all the time?"

The kicker: He teaches English as a second language.

I can't not go! I'm taking a pen with me to write down all the bon mots that pour out.

More to follow...

No comments: