Friday, May 25, 2007

Family time!

Here’s a fun game. Let’s guess my ethnicity! Here are some clues:

1. I have freckles.
2. I was raised Catholic
3. I don’t get hangovers
4. I have about 47 first cousins

Five of those cousins will be married by the year’s end. (Not to each other. Although maybe to each other. I live far away.)

We have a half day at work today (whee!) which is great, since I have a cousin’s wedding to go to this weekend (yay!) in Dubuque (wtf?) and I’ve yet to buy a gift. Nothing says “you were in my top three favorite cousins growing up” like waiting until the day before leaving to make a housewares purchase.

My problem stems from her not having a registry. I can see where a bride would want to maybe worry about not coming off looking greedy or something, but please future brides, always do a registry. Also, I'd buy something when I get there, but I literally have no idea if there's a mall in Dubuque. I don't mean that is a snotty way either. I just simply don't know.

I’m going to assume (I know, it makes an ass) that someone else will cover your coffeemaker/toaster needs this weekend, Michelle and Michelle’s fiancé whose name is slipping my mind. (We’re a close family, I swear, though you’d never know it by how often we see each other. At my sister’s wedding, someone who hadn’t seen my brother in years asked if he was the groom. I still vomit about that sometimes.)

I’d love to find Michelle something with a horse on it, to remind her that her drawing of horses was so good it made me give up doing any artwork for about a year, which I think is like the third grade equivalent of cutting your ear off. (Seriously though, she made the back legs bendy and everything! So talented.) What are weddings for if not to dig up childhood grudges?

Maybe I could get her a throw pillow with a horse on it and place it in their hotel bed Godfather style. I think that would get me out of the next few family weddings at least. (I kid because I love, any Healys who might get drunkenly told about my blog in the next 48 hours.)

4 comments:

Untrainable said...

1. We don't have to wait for you to get 'drunkenly told' we have the link.

2. I don't get hangovers either, but what say you we take a poll on Monday a.m. and see how many of the others got the 'good genes' as I call them.

3. Nothing says 'love' like 'gift card'. She's going to be a student again, missy, she needs *everything*. *lol*

ReasonswhyIdumpedyou@gmail.com said...

Haha! Number three is a great point (and so portable!) but now that I know that pillow really exists, I think she must have it.

Untrainable said...

Yeah, I'm not sure how 'Homeland Security' is going to take the pillow. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

You're going to have to drop-ship it and that's not nice, to come to a wedding without a gift! (Okay, so Miss Manners says you get a year to send a gift . . . )

3carnations said...

I'm Irish, but I've got a relatively small family. Hubby has the huge Irish family. Sometimes we'll be out and he'll point toward someone and say "That might be a cousin of mine."