Friday, August 22, 2008

Hey guys! Where are we going? Mom?


Good news, Nebraskans disinclined to parent your teens!

I just learned that in Nebraska it's now legal to abandon a child as old as 19 with expanded safe haven law. I'm imagining tricking your 19-year-old into getting into the car (perhaps with the lure of ice cream?) and after a ride in the car - with him sticking his head out the window like a dog who doesn't know he's headed to the vet - plopping him on top of some Salvation Army clothes. He's sitting there, swinging his hairy legs, kicking his size 11 shoes, licking his ice cream, not a care in the world.

And oops! You forgot something in the car. Be right back, Tyler! .....screech....vrooom vroom!

Think he can find his way home? I'm just saying, if you can be tricked into being abandoned when you're old enough to vote, maybe you deserve to be abandoned.

We all just know it's because your new stepdad Bruce doesn't want you around, cramping his style.

7 comments:

Courtney said...

That's awesome! It's nice to see abandonment is finally legal. Good thing, too, because I haven't talked to my 19-year-old Nebraska son in quite some time, and now I don't have to worry about going to jail.

Red said...

Then there's also the thinking that maybe a 19 year old is old enough that he shouldn't be living at home anyway, but who am I?

BitterIsBetter said...

I'm thinking about how that law got on the books. Someone probably said '9' (of course they were thinking MONTHS, but the other senators didn't take very good notes and frankly, how much arguing is it worth to correct a typo?) and some state senator is thinking "I could really use this law for that lazy-good-for-nuthin' son of mine, but he's 18, I'd better add in a buffer year so this will still work for me by the time it gets passed".

Yep, pretty sure that's how that went.

Unknown said...

I wouldn't have found my way home at 19, that's for sure.

Christopher Moloney said...

As someone who was actually abandoned at 18 (!) I find it disgusting that y'all are mocking this.

How would you feel if your parents packed up all your things, loaded everything into a U-haul and dropped it (and you) on the doorstep of some college campus.

Not so funny now, is it?

Unknown said...

@christopher

It's still funny.

ReasonswhyIdumpedyou@gmail.com said...

CM - Were you lured to college with ice cream?