Thursday, November 06, 2008

Hey guys, anything new in the last few days? Did I miss any history or anything? Phew.


































I went to NBC's Election Plaza, or Freedom Central, or The Place Where Hologram Wolf Blitzer Can't Hurt You or however they were billing it on Tuesday night. Not the McCain crowd you might expect to find in Midtown.

This was truly the most insanely happy crowd I've ever been a part of. Everyone chatted happily and cheered wildly and counted down to the California polls closing together. My favorite quote of the night was from two guys behind me. First guy: "It's like New Year's Eve!" Second guy: "Yeah, but it means something!"

I'll spare you my waxing poetic about everyone in this diverse group crying and cheering and hugging each other, but suffice to say, it was magical. Any time you high-five a stranger yelling out of his sunroof is a good day in my book.

Then! I went to Times Square, where there was literally dancing in the street. Some guy with dreadlocks started banging on a drum and everyone was jumping and singing like World War II just ended. It was like a commune of happy hippies all took E and went to a nightclub.

No one was saying Obama will necessarily be a great president, but there was such a feeling that good had won out over evil, logic defeated mudslinging and America's good name will be restored, I just hope he can be half the leader the crowd is hoping for.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

How fun to be a part of that. I just hope the guy lives up to the hype.