Thursday, January 31, 2008

Know what would be really funny? Make the dad a widower.


Hey guess what? It turns out I don’t really know any lullabies. (Don't trouble your pretty little head about why I need to know them.)

I’ve got the Twinkle Twinkle down, which flows smoothly into the ABCs (same tune, yo!) but I flounder after that, singing a few French and German songs I learned in middle and high school. Then I stretched my brain and came up with the chorus to Hakuna Matata and about six other random Disney verses melded together into one pan-Disney all-star review.

From there, I went patriotic with “You’re a Grand Old Flag” and a singing recitation of the 50 states. After we were amped up to march in the 4th of July parade I threw in the towel and started singing pop songs.

I drew a blank after a few of those and just resorted to singing commercial jingles and TV theme songs, which is why a nannycam would have caught me late last night in a rocking chair in the dark singing, “Whatever happened to predictability? The milkman, the paperboy and evenin’ TV…”

4 comments:

Red said...

Haha, would've loved to hear your Disney review. When will it be available to see on ice? Next time remember what Three Men and a Baby taught us: It doesn't matter what you sing/read, it just matters the tone of voice you use. Which is why I whisper-read Cargo Pants Ry to sleep with Captain Underpants. And valium.

Jacob said...

We sing "Malaika", a Swahili ballad about unrequited love, and Built to Spill's "Twin Falls" to our baby. It's going to be funny when he starts belting out tunes in Swahili when he's in Kindergarten and the teacher thinks he going to be spewing split pea soup soon.

Untrainable said...

Starting to see why kids have trouble falling asleep.

Courtney said...

I was about to ask if you were pregnant before you clarified that you're a nanny. I forgot.