Sunday, September 17, 2006

Now with 20% less crying in public

My friend Becca came in this weekend from Boston, which was a welcome change from the abyss of coffee and crying that has become my weekend since TBTEAB (The Breakup To End All Breakups).

Thankfully, breaking up with someone you're so close to has its advantages. The boy has seen my weepyness in action (Hallmark ads, the Olympics, et al.) so he knew to handle it with the utmost respect for my feelings. By breaking up with me by email. At work. On a Monday morning.

It's been an ugly few weeks. The first week there was open weeping at work, in the bathroom stall, at Starbuckses citywide, on the subway. And one case of hives.

Now I have a cold and sound like Patty and Selma (more like Selma), which I discovered in the middle of the night with a test of my scratchy "hello? hello?" into the darkness (existential!).

Despite all this, it was a great weekend, beginning with this witty repartee:

Becca: So we're still on for this weekend?
Me: Oh yeah, we're on like a lighswitch. No wait, I can do better. We're on like....like...Lohan's on crack.
Becca: We're on like my TV when "Flavor of Love" is on.

Becca came to town (on an old people tour bus!) just to root for her Red Sox. Unfortunately for them, it got rained out. That's also the only way they weren't going to lose. (Snap!) Or not, since they won the other game. Whatevs. So Becca and her Red Sox cap and me in my Yankees cap go hunting for a bar in midtown and people are openly gawking and pointing. They cheer us on like we're at Camp David working on a Mideast peace deal. I was waiting for a slow clap from the people around us, or an ovation like Mighty Ducks 2 ("Quack attack is back!") when they all proudly stand up and say their names and where they're from. Ooh, 11-year-old me just got chills.

Alas, there was no ovation for our "ebony & ivory" outing. However, we were asked the score by two guys at Macy's getting facials at the Bliss counter. I tried and failed to tell if they were genuinely curious about the score or just trying to overcompensate that they were covered in blue mud while a girl rubbed lotion on their hands.

Either way, even with all the weeping lately, I felt more manly than them.

1 comment:

Red said...

Damn it, I really wanted that slow clap. Slow claps always beat out withering stares.