Monday, June 18, 2007

Not dead, just not part of the workforce


So there have been some, ah, adjustments in my life lately. Adjustments like "not having a job." That sort of thing. I was considered a temp, even though I'd been there for a year, so the company kicks you out for a few months (exactly how long, nobody can tell me. It involves an algorithm to figure out.) So after a year without vacation, I'm getting a few months off paid for by Uncle Sam.

There are worse things in this world. But I'm a worker bee. I wasn't put on Earth to loaf about and have three-martini lunches in my Juicy velour sweats. I realized within my first day of being away from work that having no job is one of those things that sounds so much better in theory. So far, I've been to the Met, the MoMA, the freakin' U.N. and all up and down this crazy island. Then I got this sexy barking cough, so that's taking up most of my day today.

So far, my goals for my time off are:

Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge.
Walk the 13-mile length of Manhattan.
Learn to skateboard.
Go to the mysterious land I keep hearing about called "Staten Island."
Finish second screenplay.

To that end, I'm writing this at Starbucks to use their wi-fi, and this older man (I'd later learn he was from Puerto Rico and named Joseph) just cornered me and talked my ear off for about 20 minutes. He was teaching English to this woman, and when their session was up, he apparently just couldn't stop imparting wisdom, so he started teaching me English. I learned all about the value of flashcards, mnemonic devices and was instructed to go to Amazon "right now!" and buy a book called "1,000 English words you need to know."

Sounds pretty awesome, since I'll finally be able to understand this code my friends and family have been speaking in all these years.

All suggestions are welcome about how I can occupy my time between Regis & Kelly, and Oprah.

3 comments:

Red said...

So you're learning English? I think that's great. I know you resisted for a long time, but just think of the opportunities that lie before you now! You've come a long way from that boat from Cuba, my friend.

ReasonswhyIdumpedyou@gmail.com said...

I have high hopes for me. I'm so excited to not just be going "uuuuunnggghhh" like Hellen Keller anymore. (Too soon?)

Heather said...

I just came out of not having a job and it was boring as shit. At least yours is paid for! I think I'd have liked it a lot more if that had been the case. But yeah, since all I did was use wireless at Starbucks, I'm of no help.

Also, I'm really sorry you talk like Helen Keller. You must get majorly funny looks. Did this guy hold your hands under running water? Because that's what helped her.