Tuesday, February 26, 2008

I stopped voluntarily learning new things like eight years ago



Is there a word for when you repeat a word and emphasize the first one. Like, “I like Neil Patrick Harris but I don’t like him like him.” Or “I need a job job.” I used to wonder, then - like all things I can't answer - I ignored it until it went away. But the question has again risen, like Jesus ... or bread dough.

I would look it up, but my Google search would be, “Words that you repeat and emphasize the first one to give phrase new meaning. Wut iz term, internetz?” The whole thing is way too LOL Cats and I don’t want to embarrass myself in front of the Google.

5 comments:

R. Justin said...

I'm pretty sure the first term, which modifies the second, is called the solonquifier.

Maddie said...

I have no idea but that's how I define how serious my relationships are...if I like like him.

ReasonswhyIdumpedyou@gmail.com said...

R, good try. I'd believe it if that came from a random stranger on the internet, but not you.

Scott said...

I've spent way too much time and effort trying to answer this question to no avail. I'm pretty certain there is no obscure literary term for this hiding in the weeds. I think one needs to be invented, and I humbly suggest "tautological contrast."

ReasonswhyIdumpedyou@gmail.com said...

Scott,

Mwahaha, I've gotten someone else to do my internet bidding.

There's no term for it? We're calling it the Kate emphasis. Dunzo.