Monday, April 21, 2008

I'm a hustler, homie

It's come to my attention that I don't write on here as much as I thought. I need to shake things up! Make it dynamic! Represented visually, via puppies, I need to take it from Fig. 1 to Fig. 2.

Fig. 1

Fig. 2

So I'm going to try to write something every day for a week solid. This counts as today's post.

No? Fine. Here's a story. A few weeks ago I played poker and beat a beloved children's show host. (I won't say which one, but it's a show with a big blue cartoon dog. Use your crime-fighting skillz.)

But Kate, I didn't know you played poker, you're saying to yourself. And you're correct! It was my first time playing, which made the victory all the sweeter. I refused to learn for a long time in protest of poker being on every time I turned on the Travel Channel.

I figured I'd lose my chips early then sit and observe to learn the game. Out of eight people, I got second. Turns out you have a great poker face if you literally have no idea if your cards are decent or not.

My strategy, if you want to learn from me, was as follows:

1. Have a friend generously write out what each hand is.
2. Get cards.
3. Consult paper.
4. Hiss quietly "Is a 2 and a 9 of spades anything?"
5. Put all your chips in the middle.
6. Make sure beloved children's host keeps drinking.
7. Listen while everyone debates about high straight flushes or something.
8. Somehow win.

So I guess I've actually taken the blog from Fig. 1 to Fig. 3


Fig. 3

4 comments:

Jacob said...

I've found out that the more I write, the easier it is to keep the blog going. Maybe you'll discover the opposite.

And I'm shocked and appalled that the dude from Blues Clues (I'm going to assume you weren't playing a cartoon dog) plays poker and drinks. He's corrupting our children.

Well, not mine that I'm aware of. He just thinks the TV is an escape hatch to run into when he plays chase with mommy. Not sure why he hasn't figured out it doesn't work yet. He may be a little slow.

Red said...

If I were you, that story wouldn't have warranted a blog entry. It would've warranted a book. Chapter 1, is that him? He's less gay looking in real life. Chapter 2, is it weird that I find him a little cute?

Allie said...

Was he wearing is signature striped polo shirt? Did he have his handy dandy notebook with the hands written down in it too?

Mickey said...

You beat Steve?!! Awesome. Was it the first guy who quit to pursue his indie music ambitions (aka Steve) or that shitty replacement dude?

I'm excited about your own ambitions here. You can do it.