Thursday, July 31, 2008

“Happy anniversary of the night you got punched, baby.” WITH UPDATE!



I hate nature. That’s just a fact. Add to that that I’m sort of scared of Central Park and I can successfully avoid trees for weeks at a time.

Partly because the only time I’d hear about Central Park was in conjuction with “tourist mugged” or “jogger raped,” I generally refuse to step inside the park after dark.

But last night the weather was nice, the sun was just setting and I could hear a concert going on, which means there’d be lots of people around, so I decided to stop being a paranoid wimp and cross the park.

Three minutes later I was talking to a 911 operator while a young couple from Spain mopped up their blood. Apparently the guy got punched in a robbery attempt and the youths ran off into the dark. The couple started running and met up with a jogger who also didn’t have a cell phone. The trio found me a few minutes later. And if you think three frantic people running at you – one dripping with blood – isn’t jarring, well then you are braver than me. P.S. You’re definitely braver than me.

After a few minutes of trying to stop the flow of blood, about eight cop cars appeared, which is an oddly powerful feeling. I summoned an assembled fleet with a single phone call! Feel my power. Basically, I’m the world’s biggest hero is what I’m trying to tell you.

Oh, and the young couple? They got engaged about 10 minutes before the assault. Please come and spend your Euros with us, people of Europe.

UPDATE: I had to give the cops my number when I called, and a detective just called me to say they caught the guys "because of (my) quick actions." Woot! Key to the city, please!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

You're Batman!

Courtney said...

Yikes! Do you think that's a sign their marriage is doomed?

Good job on the heroics, though. You should wear a cape.

Red said...

Hahahaha...you ARE Batman. You're the Mauve Knight.

Also? This is tangential (I know that will shock you) but I always wonder how police actually catch the bad guys. I can't even catch up with an eight-year-old in a hedge maze who has a head start on me. (an alternate title for that story is, How I Spent My Wednesday)

Christopher Moloney said...

It's probably because I had such a stable, safe childhood but whenever I hear someone mention talking to the cops, I think of the scene in Ferris Bueller when he called "the cops" from the restaurant.

"You touch me, I yell rat!"

BitterIsBetter said...

This is another reason I will never get married. Fear of having my 10-minute fiancee get punched.

Seriously, I'm adding it to the list.

(#1 is still 'no one asked'.)

Camden Watts said...

Wow, what an awesome story! I can't imagine seeing three people running at me, esp one of them bloody. OK, or getting punched in the face after getting engaged. That's something for the grand kids, no?!

Way to go, you hero!

ReasonswhyIdumpedyou@gmail.com said...

I'm the Kate crusader!