Tuesday, December 05, 2006

But hark, what makeup through yonder window breaks.

I ducked into Sephora yesterday to get a Christmas present for a friend of mine. Previously, I've boasted about my gift-giving talents, but this trip shattered that notion.

Quickly, I realized the error of my ways. Much like Vinnie Chase is Queens Boulevard, my friend is Sephora. I'm 82% sure she has 97% of the bronzers, lip venom, lotions and potions on the shelves. I can't even do that math. And oh dear Jesus, the staggering shades of reds and pinks. It's more than one person can deal with.

This is the girl who was more crushed than I was last year when I didn’t get that beauty editor job.

Me: Yeah, so it looks like I didn't get it.
Her: (Muffled sobs)
Me: It's OK, I'll get something else.
Her: But, but all those free nail polishes!

My usual experience at Sephora involves me skulking around, testing teal eyeshadows and trying to put on as much makeup as humanly possible while ducking salespeople and making a serious, pondering "Yes, I might buy your wares" face.

Then I steal make liberal use of their of their rookie error of not putting a "one per customer" sign on their tissues and Q-Tips and slink off into the dark night.

But today, oh today would be different. They'’d finally make commission off me. Or not.

It was like being a co-worker of Bill Shakespeare, being handed his birthday card to sign and getting told to just jot down a sonnet or a little iambic pentameter.

(Sidenote: The last co-worker goodbye card I had to sign was for a guy whose last name was Teoh, and——because I never had any interaction with him——I had nothing to say, so I wrote "Every time I see your name, I want to sing 'Day-O.' " My office clearly has some sort of hire-the-handicapped quota they met with me.)

Apparently, lotions that smell like desserts are very big right now. As are bubble baths that smell like margaritas and daiquiris. Usually when I come home smelling like alcoholic beverages it's unintentional and not entirely welcome. After being knocked backwards by a few choking smells, I admitted defeat and fled.

Which is why I can write this post. She's getting nothing from Sephora me.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try "Sensual Amber" from Bath & Body Works -- mmmm!

ReasonswhyIdumpedyou@gmail.com said...

Ooh, I do like that one. I'm really liking the Banana Republic perfumes too. Have you smelled those?

Red said...

That friend of yours sounds fantastic. I'd like to meet her and shake her well-moisturized hand.

Also, always go directly to the back in Sephora. That's where they keep Fresh, Bliss, Philosophy, L'Occitane... everything at the front of the door, with the exception of Bare Escentuals and, of course, the Becca line, is a crapshoot of bubble gum-scented proportions.

Red said...

The front of the STORE that is.

Anonymous said...

Nope, not tried those yet -- will have to check those out on my next "Playing-Hookey-From-Work-To-Shop-Afternoon".

Stores entirely too crowded on weekends. Argh

Anonymous said...

Sephora is one of the stores in which I instantly get a 'you're not supposed to be here' feeling when I walk through the door. Bath & Body Works is another. This usually leads to me looking nervous for ten seconds, giving every employee a 'DO NOT talk to me' look, and running out empty-handed.

Untrainable said...

Never want to look like you don't belong in those stores or skulk around -- suddenly odd people start following you and then ask you to empty your pockets.

Do you know how long it can take to prove you already own something sometimes?

Red said...

Please! Walk in there and use all their samples, like Kate does. Sephora is hardly high-class. I get squidgy at Neiman Marcus, but that's just because of all the bags I can't afford.

Unknown said...

Man those banana republic perfumes are awesome.

I'm a perfume kind of girl, not so much all the fancy products.

I don't like going to Spehora. I got that weird feeling of being followed when I went to BR for the first time ever (about 4 yrs ago).